About Me

My photo
I have been a stay at home mom since Oct 31st 2006. My children started school in 2008, so I decided it was time for me to go back, too. I have been a full time student for over two years now, and it seems like I am learning about more than just my schoolwork.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Music

Music plays a big part in my life. Those songwriters really know how to touch your heart, make you say "I know that feeling!"

I have playlists, cd's, mp3 files, and even cassette tapes with music that tells part of my story. Mixed tapes from my pre-pubescent childhood reflect my siblings and parents preferences. CDs from high school that my friends and I listened to constantly. Country songs I used to swear to hate that I've now grown to love, thanks to my lovely husband. Early Mommy music, full of Mary had a Little Lamb and the ABC's.

Notice how that whole paragraph is filled with other peoples choices. In almost all aspects of my life I find it easier to go along with others decisions. But finally, I feel like I have music that's all my own. It took a lot of growing up, a lot of "I don't care what others say about me", and a lot of reflection. Oh, I know I'm not the only one who likes this music, but it's my choice now, not anyone elses.

My cell phone is an mp3 player, saves me from having to carry around something else in my purse. The radio stations up here don't have a lot of variety, so I listen to my cell phone music driving around. I have the Windows Media Player open on my computer most of the time, playing my favorites while I work. Other times, my playlist.com account is open, belting out tunes. Sometimes it's really easy to get lost in a good song.

Of course, listening to that old music brings back plenty of memories. Testify to Love will always remind me of spending time with my sister, just like Kathy Troccoli will remind me of times spent with both sisters. Hymns remind me of my Mom, along with all the "Mom songs" out there-Thank You Mom by Good Charlotte, Sissy's Song by Alan Jackson. Whenever I hear How Great Thou Art I remember walking with my aunt behind my Mommy's casket at her funeral. The Twist reminds me of Daddy at my parents 25th Anniversary. The music I remember listening to with my brother is ZZTop. Stellar Kart, Overflow, Ever Stays Red, Thousand Foot Krutch, and Sanctus Real are all bands that my bestest friend and I LOVE, and most of them we've even seen in concert. Cowboy Take me Away is how I feel about Mike, and Hole in my Head is an anthem to old boyfriends that a friend and I share. Overflow's Cry on my Shoulder is the song I would sing to Emma if I couldn't find the words she needed to hear. Kenny G brings back special times, just like Jewel reminds me of driving around Phoenix with good friends. Marisy Dotes is a song that Mom sang to me, that I sing to my kids. And my children fall asleep to my--poorly sung--version of Amazing Grace.

Maybe that's why I like music so much, it helps remind me of times I may otherwise forget. Whatever the reason, music is part of who I am, my portal to another time and place. Pushing play brings peace to my world.

No comments: