About Me

My photo
I have been a stay at home mom since Oct 31st 2006. My children started school in 2008, so I decided it was time for me to go back, too. I have been a full time student for over two years now, and it seems like I am learning about more than just my schoolwork.

Friday, September 30, 2011

Yet again, school takes priority

I knew that this semester was going to be difficult-since I am taking 5 classes this semester-but holy cow have I been busy. I just wanted to stop by and say hello, and I have a few reviews to post, and other stuff. I'll get to them eventually....

My geology class has been fun. I'm learning all sorts of stuff about our earth that I never would have considered before. It's a video lecture and lab class, so my Monday and Wednesday nights are spent learning about rocks. The video part is confusing to me this semester, and here's why.

I've taken one other video class-Technical Writing-but the instructor was in Holbrook, and I never actually met him. With Geology, the teacher is right in the classroom with me. I catch myself watching a tennis match: look at teacher, look at screen. Occasionally, I forget that I can actually look at the teacher instead of the screen.

I've noticed something funny about the students in the lecture part of this class. I feel as if I am back in Junior high, because the 'boys' sit on one side of the room, and the 'girls' sit on the other. No intermingling at all. It would be funny if it weren't so sad. It gets marginally better in the lab, though, since a girl actually sat at a table with boys this week.

My Internet class is pretty easy--read the book, do the homework, take the tests. Simple.

It's really my 3 AIS classes that are giving me the most grief. The majority of them have to be done on the computer, so I can't really go to the lodge and work like I did last semester. I still get stuff done, but I have to write it down, then type it up. Double the work means less time to actually get it completed.

Despite all of this, or maybe because all of this, I am looking forward to May. To have that stupid little slip of paper is TOTALLY worth all the stress and heartache.

No comments: