About Me

My photo
I have been a stay at home mom since Oct 31st 2006. My children started school in 2008, so I decided it was time for me to go back, too. I have been a full time student for over two years now, and it seems like I am learning about more than just my schoolwork.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Mothers and Daughters

I try to stagger my posts, so you get a mix of my life and the books I read, but sometimes I find it very hard to do that. And I consider some of the books I read part of my learning process. And part of my life. Like the book I finished reading today, called "Mercy Come Morning" by Lisa Tawn Bergren. I am very blessed to be a part of these reviews. Not only do I get to read great books for free, but sometimes I get them before everyone else. This book isn't set for release for another 5 days, but I have it here in my hand.

This is a story of a mother and daughter, lost to each other, but slowly finding their way back. Charlotte suffers from Alzheimer's, and Krista struggles to find compassion for a mother who seemingly had no compassion for her. Through letters and notes, Krista discovers her mother's past and feelings. This brings understanding and closure to Krista's childhood.

When Charlotte finally goes to Heaven, Krista has a peace that only comes from God. The closure she has with her mother allows her to grow in other relationships. My relationship with my Mom was nothing like the relationship that Krista had with Charlotte, but at the end I can relate to Krista's feelings on losing her Mom. I see a lot of the hardships my Mom faced with ALS in the hardships Charlotte dealt with as an Alzheimer's patient.

Normally I skip past the author's "To the Reader" letter in the back of the book, but for some reason I read this one. I definitely ask that anyone who reads this story finishes it with that letter.

My final grade for this book is a five out of five. I seem to be giving those a lot, but there are a lot of great books out there. If you know someone with Alzheimer's, if you've ever lost a mother, or if you are just interested in a good read, I recommend this book to you.

No comments: