About Me

My photo
I have been a stay at home mom since Oct 31st 2006. My children started school in 2008, so I decided it was time for me to go back, too. I have been a full time student for over two years now, and it seems like I am learning about more than just my schoolwork.

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Dreams, Smart Chickens, and Hidden Nests

We've had a decrease in egg production lately, and decided to get rid of the older chickens. We kept the bantam hen, Oddball, and another hen, Wimpy from the old ones, and all of the younger ones.

Before we got rid of all the 'adults', I had a dream that they hadn't stopped laying, but they were hiding them from us to get baby chickens. In my dream, there was a kayak in the coop, (don't ask me why, I have weird dreams) and all the baby chicks were underneath it.

So anyway, I went to check on the remaining chickens this evening, and we couldn't find Oddball. Sometimes they worm their way under the coop, so I got Mike and his flashlight to see if she was under there. We found her, along with 21 eggs. At first we thought all the chickens had been laying under there, but we soon realized that they were all the same size and color, and smaller than the usual eggs we get. Oddball had been protecting her 'babies' by laying them under the coop.

My dream was right! Sort of. Very weird feeling. The bottom of the coop has been blocked off, so hopefully we won't have any more egg hunts.

No comments: