About Me

My photo
I have been a stay at home mom since Oct 31st 2006. My children started school in 2008, so I decided it was time for me to go back, too. I have been a full time student for over two years now, and it seems like I am learning about more than just my schoolwork.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Communion

Because of my religious background, this book jumped out at me from the booksneeze website. Another volume of the Ancient Practices Series, The Sacred Meal by Nora Gallagher gives insight into the Last Supper.

This is something I have struggled with in my faith journey. A lot of my concerns were discussed in this book, but it still left me wondering. Most of the other books in this series discuss the history behind the practice they are writing about. This one seems to be mostly one woman's experiences with Holy Communion.

Which might be a downside to this book, but the author says in the introduction that it is going to mostly be her story. So the reader is warned, but that does not necessarily make it right.

The study guide at the back of the book is small, but helps the reader to understand what the intent of the book was. It also gives a lot of insight into the audiences experiences and beliefs regarding Communion.

I would recommend this book to someone who is looking for a quick read with emphasis on the Bread and Wine. I would not recommend it to someone who is looking for the history of the Last Supper in the Church. It was not what I expected, but there is plenty of good information in these pages, and there are some very inspirational stories that are worth reading. 

No comments: