About Me

My photo
I have been a stay at home mom since Oct 31st 2006. My children started school in 2008, so I decided it was time for me to go back, too. I have been a full time student for over two years now, and it seems like I am learning about more than just my schoolwork.

Friday, June 10, 2011

It's the End of the World As we Know it...

Every couple of years or so, someone comes out with an "end of the world" book or series of books. This time it is The Seraph Seal by Leonard Sweet and Lori Wagner.  Set in 2048, it is the story of the 'chosen eight' and the paths each person chose.

Let me start with the cons. The authors apparently like acronyms. Ever heard the saying "too much of a good thing"? I could not keep track of all of the different organizations and places that the authors labeled with random letters. The book also had a tendency to bounce between people and personal stories. At one point, I stopped trying to remember who each person was. The ending seemed rushed and not well thought out, and was definitely not what I was expecting.

At the end of the book, the authors include an "Alphabet of the Apocalypse". In the beginning of the book, Mr Sweet calls this a type of guide to understanding the realities of Apocalyptic elements. However, it seems as if there is a blurred sense of reality. And what I expected to be a type of glossary turned into a confusing list of words.

Now for the pros. It was a quick read, and I found myself connecting with the main character. The element of suspense was enough to keep me interested.

If someone is interested in end of days type fiction, I would recommend this book to them. If anyone else asked me about this book, I probably would not.

I give it a 2 out of 5 stars.

No comments: