About Me

My photo
I have been a stay at home mom since Oct 31st 2006. My children started school in 2008, so I decided it was time for me to go back, too. I have been a full time student for over two years now, and it seems like I am learning about more than just my schoolwork.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Women in Faith

I am not a fan of women's lib, feminism, or any of that stuff. I am for personal development, however, and occasionally find myself reading books I normally wouldn't. I picked this book to review from Waterbrook Multnomah on a whim.

Now, I can't really classify this book as women's lib, but Secrets of the Vine for Women sure is about personal development. Apparently it is a shoot-off of a previous book entitled, Secrets of the Vine, written by the author's husband, Bruce Wilkinson.

Having never read the original book, I have no basis of comparison, but Mrs. Wilkinson sure thinks that you have read the first one. This book is full of references to Mr. Wilkinson's book, which can make it hard to understand if you've never read it. Also, be sure to have your bible handy, as this entire book is based on John 15, but only includes a few verses from this chapter.

I do like how the author includes other bible verses to back up her statements, and the story at the beginning of each chapter helps keep the reader interested. There is a chart at the back of the book that is very helpful, and the Appendix is a good way to judge your relationship with the Father.

Also at the end of the book is a short study guide, with questions that go along with each chapter. I almost got more information out of the study guide than I did the whole book. Overall, I give this book a 3.5 out of 4 stars. It was a quick read, which accounts for the .5 in the score. I really don't know if I would recommend this book to a friend or not...

No comments: