About Me

My photo
I have been a stay at home mom since Oct 31st 2006. My children started school in 2008, so I decided it was time for me to go back, too. I have been a full time student for over two years now, and it seems like I am learning about more than just my schoolwork.

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Know Your Enemies

Ok, so "enemies" is a bit too strong of a word, but if you've ever had a debate with someone who doubts God, my latest book from booksneeze.com is definitely a help.

Why God Won't Go Away is written by Alister McGrath. Mr. (Prof.?) McGrath is a former atheist, who has a special interest in dialoging and critiquing popular atheist authors and proponents of the "New Atheism" movement.

This book is divided into three parts. Part one, titled What is the New Atheism gives information on some background and four major players of the movement. There are reviews of a few of these four authors books. It also touches briefly on the definition of atheism.

Engaging the New Atheism is part two, and it is divided into three sections. Each section touches briefly on the arguments that modern atheists give against religion. The author offers rebuttals to these arguments and also gives some more critiques on atheist books. 

The third part, Where does the New Atheism go from Here?, tells the reader what is going on now in the movement, and what the future holds for the members of this movement.

At the back of the book, the author offers titles for Further Reading, an Index, and Notes that correlate to the chapters.

Before you start reading this book, be sure to have a highlighter or pen to make notes. Mr. McGrath does his research, and has many informed arguments for the reasons people give to not believe in God.

Overall, I give this book a 4 out of 5 stars, and I would recommend it for the library of anyone who debates about God.

No comments: