About Me

My photo
I have been a stay at home mom since Oct 31st 2006. My children started school in 2008, so I decided it was time for me to go back, too. I have been a full time student for over two years now, and it seems like I am learning about more than just my schoolwork.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Reading with a Friend

I'm a little more than halfway through my newest book from Waterbrook Multnomah, but already I know exactly how I feel about it, and I have to share. :)

When the Hurt Runs Deep is written by Kay Arthur. This is a book on "Healing and Hope for Life's Desperate Moments". What I like about this book is that the author actually talks to you, not at you or over you. She shares words of encouragement from her own personal experiences, from others experiences, and from the Bible that I know would help many people through dark times.

In quite a few of my reviews I tell you to grab your Bible and a highlighter and start marking important parts of the book. This time, the AUTHOR tells you to mark up your book. "Write in the margins" she says. Circle the important words, highlight the ones that touch your heart.

There are a total of 18 chapters in this book, but each one is short and to the point. Scattered throughout the book (with a complete list at the end) are Healing Truths; little quotes that are meant to bring home the point the author is trying to make. Mrs. Arthur also includes multiple Bible stories that tell of someone overcoming hurt and desperation.

The back of the book should definitely not be ignored. The final Post Script includes some titles for additional reading, the Practical Helps are full of advice for people struggling with deep pain and scars. Also, the Study Guide (individual or small group) helps the reader to explore deeper the healing process and Bible stories that Mrs. Arthur uses in the chapter.

Not only would I recommend this book to a friend, but I would BUY this book as a gift for many people. It seemed like every turn of the page brought to mind someone who would benefit from the words within. In fact, I would have to give this book a 10 out of 5 stars (not a typo!).

No comments: