About Me

My photo
I have been a stay at home mom since Oct 31st 2006. My children started school in 2008, so I decided it was time for me to go back, too. I have been a full time student for over two years now, and it seems like I am learning about more than just my schoolwork.

Monday, April 26, 2010

The Thing that Sucks About Small Town Life

I love living here, don't get me wrong. This is a great place to raise kids, I have met some wonderful people, and I am at a school I love (literally, I'm writing this in the computer lab.)

There are some downsides to small town life, however. Take today for instance. I had to go to the doctors this morning and get some blood work done. After that, I have nothing to do until Rob gets out of school at 11:30.

In a big town, I could go to the mall, library, friends house, or even go home between errands. Out here, unfortunately, there is no mall. Strip malls and Walmart are the closest things to a mall that we have. And I do not feel up to walking around Walmart in the middle of their renovations. Looking for shoes for the kids last week was a nightmare.

I could go to the library, but I've pretty much devoured all the books that I am interested in over there, and the computer lab attendant is mean. I try to avoid it at all costs.

Since I could not eat before the phlebotonist had gotten her fill of my blood, the first item on my to do list was get food. I had heard good things about a local coffee shop, so I decided to stop there. I don't drink coffee, I'm an Italian soda and hot chocolate kind of girl. So I asked for an Italian cream soda with cherry. Like I always do when I am at a coffee shop. Oops, no cherry. Bummer. OK, plan B, hot chocolate.

Alright, I am kind of bummed that I could not get my lovely cherry drink, but the hot chocolate was yummy. As was the bagel sandwich I had. Now what? It's still to early for any of the shops to be open (another downside to small town life and mom and pop shops. they open when they want, close when they want, and it is suprising to see the times on the signs match the times they are actually there.)

So here I am at the college. Finishing the work I was supposed to finish tomorrow (yeah for finally being ahead!!) and waiting impatiently for 11:15 to roll around so I can grab the boy from school and take him to his first ever dentist appointment. Should be fun...

No comments: