About Me

My photo
I have been a stay at home mom since Oct 31st 2006. My children started school in 2008, so I decided it was time for me to go back, too. I have been a full time student for over two years now, and it seems like I am learning about more than just my schoolwork.

Thursday, September 23, 2010

One Person

There are a lot of things that one person can do. Lives are changed every day by the actions of just one person.

Good things can happen. But bad things can happen as well. One person can bring about good things, and one person can ruin things for others. Stereotypes are based on the initial actions of one person, and grow because of another person's judgments on those events.

Who was the first person to say that all lawyers are slime? Who was the first person to say all Hippies are dirty, nasty people? Closer to my heart, who was the first person to say that only old ladies knit and crochet?  :-)

I realize the impact that one person can have on a community. Not just a general, 'might affect you' kind of thing, but a real, 'lives are being changed' because of this one person's actions. And in some situations, it saddens me. Thank God they are not all bad situations.

Now, I'm not entirely naive. I know there are bad things and bad people out in the world. But God has blessed me, and I lived/live a very sheltered, protected life. But just because your life sucks does not give you the right to ruin other peoples lives.

What kind of impression do you make? Do your actions ruin people, or do they build people up? Are you more likely to hurt someone's feelings, or are you a person who saves people? I hope I can be the type of person who helps build people up.

No comments: