About Me

My photo
I have been a stay at home mom since Oct 31st 2006. My children started school in 2008, so I decided it was time for me to go back, too. I have been a full time student for over two years now, and it seems like I am learning about more than just my schoolwork.

Friday, September 3, 2010

Be Not Afraid

There are a lot of things I am afraid of. Not the afraid-of-bees-kind of afraid, although they terrify me. More of the afraid-of-failure-kind. Today, I gave voice to my fears. That's really hard, when you do that. It's hard to look at yourself and say, "This is what I fear the most." But once you do, it's really liberating. Because once you know for sure what your afraid of, once you give voice to those fears, it's really easy to figure out a way to overcome them. You can't overcome something if you don't know what it is you need to overcome.

This is one of my Mom's favorite hymns. We sang it at her funeral. I sing it to the kids at night. It brings me comfort when I'm worried, peace when I'm fitful, and memories when I want to remember. It also reminds me that I am safe, no matter what my fears are. 

You shall cross the barren desert, but you shall not die of thirst.
You shall wander far in safety though you do not know the way.
You shall speak your words in foreign lands and all will understand.
You shall see the face of God and live.
Be not afraid.
I go before you always.
Come follow me, and
I will give you rest.

If you pass through raging waters in the sea, you shall not drown.
If you walk amid the burning flames, you shall not be harmed.
If you stand before the pow'r of hell and death is at your side, know that
I am with you through it all.
Be not afraid.
I go before you always.
Come follow me, and
I will give you rest.

Blessed are your poor, for the kingdom shall be theirs.
Blest are you that weep and mourn, for one day you shall laugh.
And if wicked men insult and hate you all because of me, blessed, blessed are you!
Be not afraid.
I go before you always.
Come follow me, and
I will give you rest. 






No comments: