About Me

My photo
I have been a stay at home mom since Oct 31st 2006. My children started school in 2008, so I decided it was time for me to go back, too. I have been a full time student for over two years now, and it seems like I am learning about more than just my schoolwork.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

English sucks

Have I forgotten what classes were like in high school? Did I gloss over in my mind what I went through with homework and tests?
I think I was cheated in HS. One thing I do remember is getting easy A's in my math classes. One, because the teacher was sympathetic to the working students, and did not expect or necessarily want the homework returned to her, as long as we did the classwork right.
My sophomore math class was weird, because the teacher passed away in the first quarter, and we had substitutes the rest of the year, none of whom gave a crap, and one who cared too much, and failed us all (resulting in everyone getting passing grades, the administration could not comprehend an entire class failing, and blamed the sub (hahahaha)).
I did skate through my Jr and Sr years. 4 classes each year, 2 of which were electives. Of which I will say, photography was my favorite. Just as it is now, how appropriate.
Not that I have to worry about math- not right now anyways, but English is another story. My 9th grade teacher went to college with my sister- thus insuring me a decent grade. The teacher my sophomore year was a fat slob (I have nothing against chubby people, but I would probably call her a skinny slob if she had been down 200 lbs) who was WAY too emotional. I think I almost failed that class.
Junior year for me was the 2nd-and last-year for my teacher. She had decided that teaching hormonal teenagers was not the job for her, and became very lazy at the end. I did get my "Late Night with Kermit Letterfrog" poster from her, so that's one good thing, I guess. My senior English teacher knew my other sister (and even after 16 years, I still got compared to her) and decided to teach her students manners and etiquette just before prom- no one paid any attention- but we still got graded on it.
I will admit that meeting my husband my junior year, starting my first job, and getting pregnant senior year did not help my studies, but I still graduated with a 3-point-something GPA.
So, I got a JOKE of an education in high school, and am getting paid back for it now. I have absolutely no idea what I am doing in this English class, but I will NOT give up.
One thing I have learned from this is that I will do all I can to get my kids in college right after high school instead of waiting like I did. This class might have been easier if I had taken it 6 years ago instead of waiting.

No comments: