About Me

My photo
I have been a stay at home mom since Oct 31st 2006. My children started school in 2008, so I decided it was time for me to go back, too. I have been a full time student for over two years now, and it seems like I am learning about more than just my schoolwork.

Saturday, January 10, 2009

The beginning/ getting my FAFSA

I'd applied years ago, but with young children school seems to come second in a mom's life. There are diapers to pay for, baby food to buy, and if you do go to school, childcare to worry about. This year, both my children are in school. Granted, the boy is only there for 3 hours a day, but it's better than both of them being home.
When I decided to attend college this year, I had roommates at home that would have been willing to get the kids on and off the bus, so I figured I might as well go for it. So I dug out my pin for the FAFSA website, updated my info and applied. I figured I'd have to apply for a bunch of scholarships, but I got lucky. A few weeks later, I heard from the college, I'd been approved for a PELL grant.
Now, I'd just have to wait for November 15th, when Spring registration began.
That morning, I got the kids on the bus, and headed out the door. Since I have no idea what I am doing, my first stop was an advisor. After waiting 2 hours, I got to talk to an advisor who must have been having a bad day. I'm sorry if I seem dense, but I really have no concept of the classes I need.
Finally, we'd gotten my schedule all worked out, and I headed over to the school office. A few minutes in line there, and I was done. Despite the wait for the advisor, and the advisor herself, it was remarkably easy.
The hard part is waiting for January 12th.

No comments: