About Me

My photo
I have been a stay at home mom since Oct 31st 2006. My children started school in 2008, so I decided it was time for me to go back, too. I have been a full time student for over two years now, and it seems like I am learning about more than just my schoolwork.

Monday, January 12, 2009

The woes of childcare

Daycare is too expensive. Anything more than free is expensive.
So I worked out a childcare swapping system with another mom. She takes my kids when I need her to, I take hers when she needs me to. But I forgot one important thing. Plan B.
Here I am getting ready to start my day, and Mr. Babysitter calls. The mom was so sick, she couldn't get out of bed. "Death warmed over" was his phrase. Freak out time!
I took a few deep breaths, pulled out my address book and started calling SAHM's I know. Finally I find one with no plans, and work out something with her so I can go to my ONE class for 4 hours.
Which turns out to be 2 hours. Just the orientation and syllabus overview. Then I discover that my course is only one credit, 9 weeks, and if I want to 'accellerate' the work, I could do most of it at home and get done in as little as 3 weeks. That's pretty cool. For a full time student schedule, I don't feel like I'm doing that much work. Four days a week, possibly 3 days a week, with an average of 4 hours a day does not feel like full time. But it's 13 credit hours and 12 is considered a full schedule.
Next year, both the kids will be in school full time. I'll be able to take more classes than that. And now I know to apply for scholarships and grants to cover everything. Yeah!
Now if only I could find a part time job and a really cool sitter, my world would be looking oh-so-sweet!

No comments: