About Me

My photo
I have been a stay at home mom since Oct 31st 2006. My children started school in 2008, so I decided it was time for me to go back, too. I have been a full time student for over two years now, and it seems like I am learning about more than just my schoolwork.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My instructor is cool... Keyboarding is hard...

The kids get on the bus at 8am, my class starts at 8am. The instructor is cool with letting me come in 10 minutes or so late, so I can get the kids on the bus. And I still get done with all my work before our allotted time is up.

Keyboarding was OK last week, besides the whole carpel tunnel thing, but adding the shift button into the mix confuses the hell outta me. My wpm went down a bunch after starting to use the shift keys.

The diversity of community college is astounding. To my left I have a 56 year old grandma who is just now learning about computers. To my right is a high school senior taking accelerated classes who has been on myspace since she could read. And there's me, in the middle of the two, used to all this, taking a course as a refresher and requirement for my degree.

There are people there for their 4th associates, people there for just one class- usually for work, high schoolers there for accelerated learning classes, students who are ready to transfer to a university, parents whose kids have grown up, and people ready to start a new career or business.

If you ever want to talk to a diverse group of people, hit your local community college.

No comments: